Question:
is this bird flu REALLY that dangerous? or just a fad?
2006-02-17 22:18:07 UTC
i mean... u hear researchers are terrified by 3 deaths in one country 4 in another. malaria kills millions especially in africa.
Eight answers:
aquademon6
2006-02-17 22:27:50 UTC
The bird flu isn't really dangerous now, but it has potential to become a serious threat. The main problem with bird flu is its high resistance to antibiotics. And everytime one of those few people with it are treated, there is the chance that new strains resistant to that treatment will develop.

The main difference between bird flu and malaria is that we generally have malaria isolated in africa, with few exceptions, where as we dont really know how far bird flu has spread. There's also vaccines to prevent malaria and drugs to treat it.

Also, bird flu hits and kills a person very fast.. typically wthin 3-4 days. The potential of the bird flu has been compared The spanish flu back in 1919 that killed 50-100 million people in a 1 year time span. In comparison, 1-2 million people die from malaria every year.
2006-02-17 22:29:08 UTC
Yes, it's all a FAD. "Hey, did you hear Billy got the bird flu?" "Really? I want that too!" You are sadistic in your choice of wording. Actually it is really dangerous. Only a handful of people died from Anthrax, was that just a fad too? Lucky me, I was in the Army and got my immunization for Anthrax.
a kinder, gentler me
2006-02-17 22:23:52 UTC
The problem is that it is a very serious flu. What makes it worse, is that once someone who has a 'regular' flu also catches the bird flu, it will spread like wildfire.
deanclean101
2006-02-17 22:22:26 UTC
Just a fad? Like clothing? That seems like the wrong term to me. I don't think that its popular to get the bird flu. I don't think that it will make you cool either.
2006-02-17 22:19:40 UTC
Very dangerous, indeed. Read the reference
2006-02-17 22:21:44 UTC
Yes.. They have no way to stop it. And theres no cure. And people are dying :(
bad daisy
2006-02-17 22:24:56 UTC
yes

many poeple died in our country